Let's Review: Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush


First Impressions
It has been a while since I truely had my first impression of this book, since I've owned it for years. However I do clearly recall them, which in and of itself speaks volumes of this book. My parents gifted it to me and I remember going home on the train from the city, reading the history section and constantly telling my mum about the interesting things I learned.
Another aspect of this book that charmed me from the get go was its spiral binding. It is just so nifty for keeping a book open when you are trying to knit from it or even for making a work copy of a pattern.

The patterns

There are 24 patterns in this book, all updated from Weldon's Practical Needlework book series. I find the intro to every pattern, explaning what was done to update the pattern, fascinating. The specifications are clear and helpful and the patterns easy to follow. I should know, since I've knitted both Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern and what feels like countless pairs of the Madder Ribbed Sock (with some mods) for my dad.

Additional info

The chapter on Updating Weldon's Techniques was my first real introduction to sock anatomy in English and was my go to source for years. Not only is it a great learning experience of knitting in the past, it will likely make you giggle and improve your knitting as well.

At the buttom of the pattern pages is a timeline with events of the period and a mark placing the pattern in time. Beginning in 1894, the timeline coveres a broad range of events from the invention of the ice cream cone (1896) to universal adult suffrage in the U.K. (1928), where it ends.

At the end of the book, you'll find the Glossary, complete with clear drawings and discriptions for the techniques used in the book.

What I would knit

Besides my yearly quota of Madder Ribbed Socks, I would like to knit a pair of Infant's Fancy Silk Sock, Evening Stockings for a Young Lady and another pair of Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern, which is my favourite pair of socks to wear.
Evening Stockings for a Young Lady

Infant's Fancy Silk Socks
Final judgement

This book is worth the cost for the history section alone. Some of the patterns do not speak to me, but those that do, do so immensely. If you don't already own this book, then why are you not halfway to the store already?

Looking for other book reviews?

Try Adorable Knits for Little People by Nuriya Khegay

Disclaimer:
I am in no way paid to do this review and make it a point to always give my honest opinion about anything I review. Your milage may vary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment