Finding joy in the insignificant


For my birthday, I got a number of wonderful gifts and it's never easy to single out a favourite, but this time there was one gift that stood out.

The day before my birthday a friend from school brought me a gift, which I saved to open on my actual birthday. I had an idea of what it was from its the shape. It felt like a candle.

It turned out to be a candle. A white candle with an owl on it. The owl, as you may have guessed symbolise knowledge. But the candle itself symbolised something too, said my friend: a light at the end of the tunnel.

My friend had picked it up, because she wanted to give me a symbolic gift - she hit the nail on the head.

There are so many things going on at the moment, good things and bad. I'm okay, but the reminder that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel is fitting. Between a full load at school, 2 new jobs and this micro business I have my work cut out for me. That our family isn't in its best health is another stain. It is in no way too much for us to handle, but it is a lot to handle.

There is something comforting in knowing that this too shall pass and what may seem a small, maybe even insignificant gift has brought a lot of joy to my heart - the good Lord is with us every step of the way.

4 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful and fitting gift. I'm also feeling strained lately under the pressure at work, combined with two sickly grandparents, and even though you are in fact coping with the situation, it is good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In deed. I hope you'll stay strong too Tahnée.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Pia! Your friend chose the perfect gift. I am glad it symbolises just what you need right now.

    ReplyDelete